On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 18:52:12 -0500
Mark Roberts <m...@robertstech.com> wrote:

> Amazingly, there are two other century rides in the same area, the
> Blue Ridge Brutal 100 and the Blood, Sweat and Gears Century
> (purportedly the toughest - 13,000 feet of climb). I've done the BS&G
> twice and it's truly grueling: Snake Mountain is a 5-mile stretch of
> climb mostly at 9% grade but finishing with a 1/4 mile section at 18%.

the manali-leh road in ladakh, india, which i am planning to do this
july/august is a 475-km road which starts from the town of manali which
is at 6,000-odd feet and goes to leh which is at 11,000-odd feet. but it
goes through five high altitude passes, one of which is 13,000 ft, three
of which are above 16,000 ft and one above 17,500 ft. some sections are
really steep though i don't really know the percentage grades....

the road is open only for four months a year. i know the 'road'
conditions pretty well, since i have done it four times already by
motorcycle. i am planning to do it slow and nice over ten days on
the cycle... :) (i have done two (metric) centuries in the last month or
so btw... got to do lots more:)) hopefully will be able to manage it...