Raimo sez: "it (lpm) is effectively MTF"

Bob sez: "No, it is not effectively MTF."

Raimo insists: "Yes, it is.

And Raimo continues: "Where do you find your points and lines made of points to measure
your lpm?"

Bob's Answer: For measurement, we create the lines.

And Raimo continues: "In real world the edges of lines are not sharply defined if you
look
close enough."

Bob's Answer: "Bullpucky! Consider a photo of an automobile (or an aerial photo of a
tank). The outline of the automobile (or an aerial photo of a tank) against the
background
is a sharp edge and its reality is sharply defined, unless you want to get into some
silly
notion about fuzzy molecules on the surface of the object. The world is full of edges.
Edges are how we recognize objects. In fact, the first layer of human visual
processing is
edge detection performed by neurons in the retina just behind the photo sensitive
cells.

Go to http://www.photodo.com/art/articles.shtml#

The graph shows contrast vs. spatial frequency. This is a graph of the modulation
transfer
function (MTF). Lines per millimeter is a single point on this graph. It is the point
where the MTF crosses 0 contrast. Anywhere just to the left of this crossing, items
can be
distinguished from one another. It may not look natural due to severe lack of contrast,
but they can be distinguished. In some forms of photography, it is this ability to
distinguish separation that is all important. Note that the example, while sufficient
for
photographers such as yourself and most on this list for evaluation of lenses is
insufficient for others because it does not show where contrast becomes 0. To them,
this
is the all important single point on the graph. If they can get better contrast at the
lower spatial frequencies, that's icing on the cake.

In other words, lpm is not "effectively the MTF". It is just a single point solution to
the modulation transfer function where contrast = 0.

Regards,
Bob...
--------------------
"Let us contemplate our forefathers, and posterity,
and resolve to maintain the rights bequeathed to us
from the former, for the sake of the latter.
The necessity of the times, more than ever, calls
for our utmost circumspection, deliberation, fortitude,
and perseverance. Let us remember that 'if we
suffer tamely a lawless attack upon our liberty,
we encourage it, and involve others in our doom.'
It is a very serious consideration that millions yet
unborn may be the miserable sharers of the event."
- Samuel Adams, 1771