On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:43:12 -0800
Tim Bray <tb...@textuality.com> wrote:
> As I've mentioned here, I visit Saskatchewan every winter and always
> try to do a photowalk.  I've taken tons of pictures with both my
> *ist-D and K20 at temperatures like -35°C and never had any trouble.
> Normally, electronic circuits work just fine at arbitrarily cold
> temperatures (not necessarily when they get too hot), so I'm wondering
> if there are mechanical issues that could come into play at very cold
> temperatures.  Otherwise, why would they provide a low-temperature
> threshold?  -T

It's not terribly uncommon for aircraft electronics located outside the cabin
to fail due to a small crack in a wire. On the ground they operate normally,
but up in the air where it is cold they fail due to contraction of the metal,
separating the crack. Such problems can be really hard to diagnose. I imagine a
camera could experience the same problem.

Ira

--
Ira Bryant
irabry...@sbcglobal.net