2010/1/15 mike wilson <m.9.wil...@ntlworld.com>:

> ---- Tim Bray <tb...@textuality.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Tom C <caka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > The claim of "any environment" is the exaggeration.  If one goes below
>> > -10C, what about that environment, or what about extremely hot
>> > conditions?
>>
>> Normally, electronic circuits work just fine at arbitrarily cold
>> temperatures (not necessarily when they get too hot), so I'm wondering
>> if there are mechanical issues that could come into play at very cold
>> temperatures.  Otherwise, why would they provide a low-temperature
>> threshold?  -T
>
> It _used_ to be due to (mainly) battery and/or lubrication issues.
> Since the advent of lithium (in all its flavours) for batteries and
> constructional plastics that have some lubrication qualities, reducing
> the need for grease, these issues have receded somewhat.

That's the point, isn't it. We used to have cameras that were not
guaranteed to work in even moderately bad weather. Then there was a
lot of raving over images obtained under conditions that were outside
warranty. Now that materials have approved, people go whining about
the folly of taking the same risks.

The only thing camera improvement seems to spawn is ever more
demanding customers.

Jostein

--
http://www.alunfoto.no/galleri/