On Jan 15, 2010, at 9:36 AM, Igor Roshchin wrote:

In view of various comments from people about K-7 and K-x, I've been
thinking, - why am I shooting with Pentax?
This is a summary of my thoughts - I'd like to hear what others think
about this.

There is no perfect camera. There may be a camera that is best for a particular job. For almost everyone on this list, Pentax gear has a tremendous economic advantage, we don't need to spend any more money to photograph with it.

In general, there are things that Pentax does very well, generally in the performance for the price, or performance for the size category. The 4/3 systems may have size beat, a Leica M9 almost certainly wins in the performance for the size category, but not in the price category. I would love to have a K7, or possibly even a k-x for my DA40 as my fannypack camera. Even so, my K100 and DA40 is an awesome combination of size and performance.

While I'm not in any sort of financial situation to do anything about it, I have come to reject the notion of only shooting with one brand of camera. There are many tasks that any camera can do a competent job of. However, there are some tasks that require a certain lens/ body combination to get the best results from. I expect that the people doing super-long telephoto work get a lot more performance for their dollar with APS-C. The crop factor works in their favor to get more reach from the lens. Also, at the long end, the lenses cost as much or more than the good bodies.

On the other hand, I'd like a full frame for fast and wide shooting. Particular indoor available light, or night photography. A D700 with a 35/1.4, or a sigma 30/1.4 or Sigma 20/1.8 would be faster and wider than almost anything else. One advantage Pentax has, especially in the low and mid range, is image stabilization of fast glass. As far as I know, neither Canon nor Nikon have anything image stabilized faster than f/2.8. I don't know whether I'd be better at ISO 12,800 at f/2.8 with Canikon than 3200 at f/1.4 with Pentax. It probably depends on whether I was in a place where I could use a monopod.

Most of us already have a setup that is the best for certain conditions. If there is something we need to do, there may be another brand that does a better job for what it would cost to do it with Pentax, or is possible to do with Pentax. Part of the reason that I bought Pentax, two years ago, was that I was willing to look at other brands, despite having some Nikon glass.

There are things that I like, or dislike about all brands:

Pentax:
Like:
price and size for performance. In body shake reduction. The level of performance I can afford. And, I must really emphasize the user level support network. It's very much like marque clubs that I've been in with "underdog" motorcycles and cars: Airhead BMWs, Miatas and any British sportscar. (interesting that back in the late 60's all of these were close to the top of the game)

Dislike:
The AF540
focusing
metering
availability of lenses etc.

Nikon:

Like:
High end high ISO
High end compatibility with older glass
Metering
flash

Dislike:
Buy-in cost for the performance I want
The aperture ring works backwards (not an issue on DSLR but that's why I ended up using my SRT101 rather than my FE2)
The lens mount turns backwards
The poor backwards compatibility of the low end bodies.
I've heard that the good glass is very expensive, especially for full frame,
   though the old 35mm glass could make up for this.

Canon:

Like:
availability of lenses etc.
A lot of stuff out there to borrow
Some of their glass is supposed to be very good for the price
Adapters for other brands of lenses from short register distance

Dislike:
I've never used a Canon that I like the feel of. A pro photographer, Nikon owning, friend said that he was very impressed with their 7D though, that it was actually usable.

Sony:
Like:
Best price for full frame

Dislike: