Hi All!

Wow!
I didn't expect it to grow in such a large and interesting thread.
I enjoyed reading all responses.
Thanks to all who responded!

Below is my response to Boris' questions/comments (somebody else
also mentioned the same).

Sun Jan 17 00:09:07 CST 2010
Boris Liberman wrote:

> > In the last 2-3 years, I started taking photos at dance events,
> > and that's where quick and accurate AF matters, and low light
> > performance and an accurate flash are important.
> > So, why am I still using Pentax, and buying new bodies and lenses?
>
> That's a good question. E.g. why don't you buy yourself a special (not
> Pentax) kit for low light (dance events) shooting? Assuming, of course,
> you've got the money.

You got it, - since I am not being paid for this, - I do not feel
I can buy a separate kit for low light.
I looked at what is the price of a Nikon DSLR body that would do well in
low light. I might be mistaking, but that alone was pushing $2K.
Adding some reasonable analog of 17-70/4 or something of that sort
and a flash, - that all together will go well over $3K.

There is yet another factor. My wife has already suggested that we
should get a mule, - to haul around the photo gear.

> > As for Pentax, I am currently evaluating if I should exchange the K-7
> > for a K-x for a better low-light performance.
>
> Some say it outshoots all of its siblings and generally is the best
> low-light low-price offering on the market today. Since this is rather
> strong and broad statement, careful examination thereof is in order.

I tried it this weekend, and I am interested to see the results
on the large screen.
But first I need to feed the dragons and clean out the volcanoes.

> > I like that the choice of the AF mode, ISO and exponometry mode
> > in the K-7 is done by physical switches, not via the menu.
>
> Good, but do you change AF mode, ISO and metering mode all that often at
> shoot-time???

Yes, for the dance events that I mentioned ( http://42graphy.org/swing ),
I usually use AF-C. For shooting people standing, I switch to AF-S.
I found a workaround for that:
On *ist DS I was enabling AF-C via "Sport" mode when I needed to switch
quickly back and force.

ISO - if you want to switch between flash and no flash - you need
to switch ISO. Even for no-flash photography, - I might switch ISO -
in an attempt to minimize ISO if possible, and increase it more only
when it cannot be done otherwise.

I don't switch metering mode that often. I either keep it on
"Matrix, center-weighted" (which, I believe, is "green" on K-7)
or on "center".

Igor