On 15/01/2010, Tom C <caka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The claim of "any environment" is the exaggeration.  If one goes below
> -10C, what about that environment, or what about extremely hot
> conditions?
>
> Waterproof and weather resistant are obviously two different things.
>
> My 2 cents. Given all that I'd be disappointed in the failure as well,
> as expectations that were set by the manufacturers claims were not
> met.

I've managed to use all my cameras in rain over the years without a
single failure but I'm careful how I do it. I trust no claims of
weather sealing and as has been pointed out many times on various
lists neither do the manufacturers.

There is an Internationally recognised method of rating sealing that
is very specific which I think only Oly may have utilised in reference
to cameras. All sorts of other hand held electronic equipment seems to
be able to be successfully rated but obviously in the case of cameras
it would be far too revealing, not a great marketing tool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

Mostly here there are discussions about cold performance but heat is
an enemy too. It seems that hotter days here aren't conducive to movie
making on the K-x, there have been various reports of stuttering and
complete failure though I've yet to experience problems (but I've only
shot video on mild hays so far). I wonder what the heat range for
shooting video on the K7 is?

Cheers,
--
Rob Studdert (Digital  Image Studio)