On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 10:38:32 +0800
Bong Manayon <bongmana...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 7:32 PM, Subash <pdml.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > i have friends who periodically micro-wave it... :)

> Yeah, I do the sunshine thing too, but this is the first time I heard
> about microwaving them (I know about putting them into an oven).
>
> You would not happen to know how they actually do it?  I.e., take them
> out of the bag?  How long...?

Bong, actually i happened to ask the guy a while back how he went
about it and i still have his reply. quoting verbatim (and i have never
done this myself):

<quote>
from a chemist I bought half a kilo of silica gel. I keep the silica
gel wrapped up in a handkerchief in the airtight box along with my
equipment and secure the lid. This is very very effective. About once a
week (when I'm not using the equipment, i.e, when I'm not opening the
box too often) I remove the silica gel and put it in an oven, set to 50
degree celsius for about half an hour. This has to be done because once
the gel absorbs the moisture in the box, it doesn't work anymore. When
the gel is dry, it is a beautiful, deep blue in colour. Once it has
absorbed moisture beyond its capacity, it turns pink. If you heat it at
a low 50-60 C in an oven or microwave, it'll turn blue again.
</quote>

hth, subash