On Jan 19, 2010, at 4:35 PM, Subash wrote:

> This has to be done because once
> the gel absorbs the moisture in the box, it doesn't work anymore.

Not long after I started an internal tech-support job at an electronics
manufacturer we had to deal with an issue where the units we shipped would sit
around in their boxes for a few months waiting for installation.  They would
often be left sitting in some pretty humid environments as we exported
worldwide.

The unit would be wrapped in a plastic bag within the box, with a bag of silica
gel thrown in.  It turned out that the plastic would slowly leach moisture.
Given enough time it'd saturate the silica gel to the point where it'd cause
rusting where its bag contacted the metalwork.

I'm not sure how that particular one was solved as someone else dealt with it.
I think the solution was to find a different type of plastic.

Dave