From: Mark Roberts
ann sanfedele wrote:

>Mark - um I think the links are reversed :-)

Looks that way. But I'm sure everyone here is smart enough to figure
it out anyway.

>Mark Roberts wrote:
>
>>Here's a little controversy that popped up on the DP Review Pentax
>>forum a few weeks back regarding the Pentax Photo Gallery. Two photos
>>from the same photographer:
>>
>>http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=2245441&subSubSection=3826178&language=EN
>>EXIF says the exposure time was 31 min and 29 sec and it certainly
>>looks that way from the star trails.
>>
>>http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=2245441&subSubSection=3190723&language=EN
>>EXIF indicates an exposure time of 16 min and 38 sec, half the time of
>>the first shot but the star trails aren't half as long, they're
>>non-existent! Also, there's no dimming or diffusion of the stars close
>>to the horizon from passing through more atmosphere and low-level
>>airborne dust like the first photo: The stars are clear and bright all
>>the way down to the horizon. Almost as if the sky was pasted in from
>>another photo...

I do see what you're getting at.

One thing though, they might have been taken on different dates with different atmospheric "seeing". I don't think that's enough to account for the difference in trail length, but it might account for some of the difference in dimming near the horizon.

And the longer exposure is facing towards some kind of light on or over the horizon which also makes the star trails dim as they neared the horizon.

Still, the shorter exposure should have longer star trails. I don't have any experience with the Pentax Photo Gallery, so I don't know if it picks up the exposure time from the EXIF or if the photographer has to enter it for the photo.

It might be a composite or it might be HDR. Many of his other landscapes have a real HDR look to them.

They are some stunning images.