From: Mark Roberts
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 19:22:29 -0000, you wrote:
>As far as the wolf photo is concerned, since photos of captive animals are
>allowed in the competition he could have won a prize anyway if he'd been
>open about it. It really is a shame that he wasn't.

I thought captive animals were prohibited? That's how I read the
rules. (It's definitely how the judges interpret the rules!)

Don't know about the 2009 competition, but that's what it says for 2010.

8. Subjects and Ethics

Only pictures of wild animals and plants and landscapes are eligible subjects. Images of domestic animals (cats, dogs, farm animals, etc) and cultivated plants (species or hybrids grown in a cultivated setting) do not count as wildlife.

Pictures of captive animals (animals that do not live a free and wild existence) or involving baiting using live bait are not eligible, and any other baiting must be declared. Pictures of animal models or any other animals being exploited for profit may not be entered.

Images of animals being restrained in any way are only accepted in the One Earth and Wildlife Photojournalism categories when illustrating an issue. The competition asks photographers to put the welfare of animals first and to safeguard their environment and that they do not do anything to injure or distress animals or destroy the environment in their attempt to get the shot.

If the Owners or the Judges suspect that a picture was taken using cruel or unethical practices, the entry will be disqualified.

        [paragraph breaks added to improve readability]

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/whats-on/temporary-exhibitions/wpy-entry/Rules.jsp;jsessionid=9C2AD3C31408B8479F7BDCF9919607F4

http://tinyurl.com/yhgu3wr