Well, I did manage to get the Pentax stuff (version 3.61) running under Xubuntu
Linux and Wine some time ago, but had some issues with the GIMP photo software
since it's 8-bits (color depth) only. As I still had Photoshop under Windows XP
in another machine, there was no big problem - my notebook's monitor isn't that
good anyway. Sadly the XP machine acquired a terminal moisture-related ilness,
and is scheduled to be shot one of these days at our local target range - so
I'm to fully edit my photos on the Linux notebook.

Cinepaint never worked for me. Last week I came across a piece of info that
allowed me get it working, without crashes so far. It's still a work in
progress, since some software dependencies aren't met under Ubuntu no matter
what - but I just can't try other distros right now, no more tests for the
moment. I'm wondering if any of you have managed to work from SD card to print
in Linux. And how.

My current setup (two disks, one system older, one new):
Xubuntu Linux 9.04 + Wine (1.0) + Pentax Photo Lab and Browser (3.61, installed
from the Pentax site download) + UFRAW (0.15-1 build 1) + Gimp (2.6.6) +
Cinepaint (0.22-3 from the debs by Aedan Kelly - only setup that did work so
far). I did install Nautilus (1:2.26.2) since it's able to display the PEFs as
icons too, assuming UFRAW is installed.

The second hard drive is a fresh Xubuntu 9.10 install, same programs.
Noticeably faster than the other, but since the hard drives are diff I can't
really say it's the new distro.

Both systems are fully up-to-date - an issue since after the forced CinePaint
install all package managers refuse to work proper unless I take down ditto
CinePaint as the failed depency is impossible to meet so far (libopenexr2ldbl
(>=1.2.2)).

After all that, I'm out of ideas - and time. If one or more of you have more
info, I'd love to read about.

Aedan Kelly's efforts on CinePaint may be found at http://sidux.net/etorix/ -
for those interested in trying. For any interested, my road to (x)ubuntu
started with an ancient BR-customized distro, Debian-based called Kurumin, now
extinct. After the original brain quit, a last effort to keep Kurumin kicking
was a Kubuntu remaster. Wich prompted me to include those among the distros I
was testing at the time. So far it's ok - since 2008 I chose Xubuntu - which I
regard as just a little faster and smaller than its cousins.

TIA, good light, great photos - to you all.

Luiz Felipe
luiz.felipe at techmit.com.br
http://www.techmit.com.br/luizfelipe