From: "Christine  Aguila"
Bruce Dayton wrote:

>>Certainly a tell-tale sign of the future of film.  Sounds like the
>>cost to get color developed is only going to rise until doing it at
>>home is the only viable option.
>>
>>I'm sure glad I sold my film gear when it still had some value.
>
> About two years ago I stopped in at one of the big box stores in a
> major shopping mall in Pittsburgh and decided to have a look at the
> photo lab. I chatted with the manager there and learned that their
> daily volume for film processing was... about 5 rolls. "Sometimes 10 a
> day on weekends". I'm sure the level has gone down since then. Before
> long it won't even be worthwhile for them to use film processing as a
> loss-leader to get customers in the door. Expect the cost of chemistry
> to skyrocket then.
>
> None of the students in my classes has ever used a film camera.

I forgot to mention in my previous post to this thread that I've met a lot of students who are starting out and shooting film. Often they are doing so because they are taking classes, but not all. When the weather gets nicer, I'm going to shoot that roll of Velvia in my fridge. And I'm determined to have some cash saved some time later this year for a Pentax medium format film camera. Cheers, Christine