From: Derby Chang
Friend-shooter of mind asked me today, when did it click for you? When did you know photography was the game to be in? Oddly, unlike a lot of my past history, I could pinpoint exactly the moment

I was sent out by my then-employer to do some work in Simi Valley, CA. Bored, I picked up a Ricoh KR-10M with a modest Rikonen zoom (both long since stolen). Landing on the weekend, I went for a drive down PCH to adjust my body clock, with a plan to visit the Getty museum. After being rejected because I hadn't booked, and after finding a not quite legal park on the beach, I saw a pretty lady with a pet pig. Not understanding the honourable history of street photography, I begged her to let me take a photo, which she did, to my gratitude. It could have gone the other way, but that shot made me think, there was something to this hobby. Fine-boned ladies will let you take their picture with their pig, what's not to enjoy?

http://members.iinet.net.au/~derbyc/10/10_01/10_01_click/index.htm

So.....when did it first click for you?

I can't really say when. It was somewhere between 1959 and 2004.

My first camera was an old Kodak Brownie that had belonged to my grandmother. She died just before I turned 10. She was a studio photographer back in the 1920s, but lost her studio in the depression.

I've been taking photos off and on ever since.

I guess "it clicked" for me that I could pursue photography as a profession during my Iraq deployment in 2004.