---- Rob Studdert <distudio.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/01/2010, mike wilson <m.9.wil...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> > And even more, if you are
> > seriously mayonnaised you are going to do irrepairable damage to the motor.
>
> Hmm, mayonnaised, never heard it called that but the water to oil
> inter-cooler in my Porsche blew an o-ring, the oil and water were
> literally like mayo but the engine survived quite well.

It's often found (less so with modern oils and engine design) in the cooler
parts of the motor, such as rocker covers.  In an engine that is seriously
underused, for example making sub-one-mile journeys for a year or so, it can
start to fill (float on the top of the oil) the sump.  If said engine is
subsequently used "normally" the emulsion of oil and water can be drawn into
the lubrication system where its very poor lubrication qualities can be brought
to the front with the expected results, especially as, in that scenario, the
water can be boiled off to some extent.  In your case, I suspect that the
higher oil than water pressure kept the majority of the water out of the oil.

Small amounts of water in the sump, running around at the bottom of the pan
with some slight emulsifying, is normal in even heavily used motors - I have
never known that be removed by the apochryphal Italian tune-up.