On Jan 28, 2010, at 5:30 PM, John Mullan wrote:

When Bob Tullius ran his Group 44 Jaguar team in the IMSA Camel GT series years ago, I always got a kick out of his operation. His cars were white, and his crews were always dressed in white. When they rolled his cars out of the transporter into the garage at the track their first task was to clean the cars.

That would be this: http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2572077&size=lg
Paul

jm
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Waller" <kwal...@peoplepc.com>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: SDM Failure

One of the reasons I really enjoyed working on race engines was the total lack of accumulated crud. The engines were for the most part opened up after only a few hours of operation if only to set the valves, but occasionally to check bearings and unfortunately all to often to determine a cause of failure.

It was a pleasure not to have to decrud the internals as was required when I worked on street engines.

Kenneth Waller
http://www.tinyurl.com/272u2f

----- Original Message ----- From: "mike wilson" <m.9.wil...@ntlworld.com >

On 2010-01-27 3:44, mike wilson wrote:

> Small amounts of water in the sump, running around at the bottom
> of the pan with some slight emulsifying, is normal in even heavily > used motors - I have never known that be removed by the apochryphal
> Italian tune-up.

The water is the excuse for an "Italian tune up", not the reason. :-) Others include "carbon on the valves" and the ever popular "carbon on
the spark plugs".

8-)
One area where it does work is in clearing out crap from the exhaust system. Although, these days, sparks, flames and general filth issuing from your pipe (ahem) is less an excuse for levity and more a reason for receiving tickets.