> Having returned from the trip to USA, my boss pointed out
> that I spoke rather harsh language. Here is an example.
>
> I would say something like "I suggest that we do so and so"
> and according to my boss "I suggest" was interpreted
> specifically as an order, not as a suggestion or as an
> indication of one option among several possible courses of
> action. My boss indicated that wording it something like
> "Perhaps we could proceed like so or so" would have been
> interpreted properly.
>
> Few questions:
>
> 1. Is indeed this is the case? To the point, my trip was to
> Maryland not far from Washington, DC, if that matters.
> 2. Is there any place where I could read about common phrases
> so that I would at least word things in exact way in which I
> want myself to be understood. As you realize, it is rather
> frustrating to say something and be understood very
> differently than originally intended...

It sounds like the sort of comment a native speaker might make if he has no
experience of 2nd language learning and little or no experience of talking
to people who are not using their own mother tongue.

Alternatively, it could be the comment of a non-native speaker with a great
deal of experience who is over-applying a lesson.

In short, he should cut you some slack.

Having said that, he is correct in saying that "I suggest that we..." could
be heard as a recommendation that might limit slightly the other person's
options. "Perhaps we could..." has slighty less force and gives the other
person the final choice.

But it certainly isn't harsh - it's a subtle point and very few native
speakers would give a tinker's damn, frankly, even if they noticed it.

If you want to polish your English to that extent, I would suggest (!) that
you find an experienced local EFL school, explain to them what you have
explained above, and find out if they can provide a suitable course for you.
You'd be hard pressed to get this sort of thing out of a book. Your English
is probably already at or beyond CEFR C2 level, I should think.

Bob