I sent a reply to your initial message prior to reading this post.
Format a memory card. Place it in the camera and take a shot and then place the
card in the card reader. Click on "My Computer." DCIM will come up at the top
of the page. DBL left click DCIM. A number series will appear in dialog box.(ex
100-0203) Dbl left click this number and the image number should appear. Change
that number to whatever you choose. Remove the card from the reader and place
it in the camera. Take a pic and check the number which should be one number
greater than that you entered.
Hope this is clear and I have it right.

Jack