On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 10:36 AM, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> The way I understand it, global warming causes greater variability in
> weather patterns ... you get the same kinds of weather you always got, but
> going more towards the extremes.
>
> We got worse drought in the southeast for several years, now we're getting
> more bad winter weather - more frequent snows.
>
> Look for summers to get wetter with heavier rains for a while - then it'll
> cycle back to drought again.
>
> Global warming means there's more energy pumped into the weather cycles.
> It's like hitting a spinning top with a ball peen hammer. The top continues
> to spin, but it gets a whole lot wobblier.
>
> The mathematical model can tell you if you smack it hard enough it will fall
> over. Just can't tell you where it's going to land.

Not that I want to get into YAGWFW (yet another global warming flame
war), it's all about global averages, isn't it?  Local weather may be
colder or more snowy than usual, but Virginia's snowstorms may be
balanced out by the fact that Toronto's winters have been much milder
of late than in the past (last year being an exception to that trend).

We've had a pretty mild winter this year, with lots of rain and almost
not snow.  Thirty years ago it would have been much colder and
snowier.

cheers,
frank