On 2/9/2010 10:36 AM, John Sessoms wrote:
From: Christian
On 2/8/2010 4:50 PM, frank theriault wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Christian<pterali...@aim.com>  wrote:
>> This is crazy.
>>
>> From the national weather service (which has been freakily accurate with
>> snow totals these past couple of months):
>>
>> ...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM NOON TUESDAY TO 7 PM EST
>> WEDNESDAY...
>>
>> THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A
>> WINTER STORM WARNING FOR...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TUESDAY
>> TO 7 PM EST WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN
>> EFFECT.
>>
>> * PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW.
>>
>> * ACCUMULATIONS...10 TO 20 INCHES.
>>
>> A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE
>> EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. THE COMBINATION OF SNOW AND STRONG WINDS
>> WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS.
>>
>> Send the St. Bernards.
>
> What?
>
> You've got over 24 hours to prepare.  Where's the problem?

It's just been one after another after another... And it doesn't snow here! :-) Does global warming make it snow more? I'm so confused... (kidding, dammit, people, I'm kidding!)

If I understand how global warming has been explained to me, more snow may be a result.

The way I understand it, global warming causes greater variability in weather patterns ... you get the same kinds of weather you always got, but going more towards the extremes.

We got worse drought in the southeast for several years, now we're getting more bad winter weather - more frequent snows.

Look for summers to get wetter with heavier rains for a while - then it'll cycle back to drought again.

Global warming means there's more energy pumped into the weather cycles. It's like hitting a spinning top with a ball peen hammer. The top continues to spin, but it gets a whole lot wobblier.

The mathematical model can tell you if you smack it hard enough it will fall over. Just can't tell you where it's going to land.

As I see it this is about the kind of weather we've had for about 100 years. The climate has warmed the climate has cooled. We've gone into a cooling trend. Hopefully the world will come out of it before the Ice begins to spread. Ah yes I remeber those Halcyon days of the 1970's when Time Newsweek and the NYT ran headlines about the coming ice age. (Though the prescription on how to deal with our imminent doom was somehow the same).

--
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Courier
New;}}