On 2010-02-09 16:33 , John Francis wrote:
Laptops have a half life around 1 year (a bit less, around 11 months,
last time I looked at stats.)

my previous MacBook Pro (3 years, 1 month old) has just taken over from an iMac G5 as our home server for backups, iTunes and document scanning; my old 12" PowerBook G4 (5+ years) is still going strong as my partner's laptop, and it served both her and her brother daily for about a year; now that the brother has moved out, we had hoped to give him my partner's previous laptop, a Pismo PowerBook G3 (9+ years old), but it hadn't been started in a year or so and something has gone askew in the power train; fixable, i expect; not going to do much Lightroom on that last one, but the G4 holds up well with Mac OS X 10.5 and iPhoto 09