On Feb 15, 2010, at 5:30 AM, Mark Roberts wrote:

>> If you haven't seen it already, I'd recommend seeing "Spirit of the
>> Marathon".
>
> My movie recommendation in return is "Run for Your Life: The Fred
> Lebow Story", about the founder of the NYC marathon. Fascinating
> character!

I'll have to check that out, if I ever get the time to sit down and watch it.
I should have been in bed half an hour ago but I'm eating dinner after a really
good run up the hill & back.

>> I also recently read Kathrine Switzer's autobiography. Great book.
>
> I'll get to meet her in a few weeks as she's speaking at the college
> where I teach a week before the Boston Marathon in April.

If I hadn't lent the book to a mate I'd just about send it up to get signed :)
When I read that book I realised the importance of setting goals and having
something to work towards.

>> I've run the half-marathon distance a couple of times recently. It probably
>> wouldn't hurt as much if I stuck to the sealed footpath but I tend to run on
>> the grassy riverbank.  I need to get around to setting some proper goals as
>> it might get me to go out a bit more often...
>
> I'm thinking of racing a half marathon in the spring.

That's not far away!  I've been thinking about this one which caught my
interest but there are only a few entries left so I'd better hurry up and
organise myself.  No way I'd win but it's not the kind of place I'd get to run
otherwise.

http://www.vineyardhalf.com/

And it's a pity I don't like wine.  The Mrs will have to drink it all.

Dave