On 2/19/10, frank theriault <knarftheria...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Scott Loveless <sdlovel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  >  Canadian gun
>  > control, while liberal compared to GB's, is fairly restrictive
>  > compared to most of the US.  Yet their violent crime rates are still
>  > higher than ours - in 2003 it was 963 per 100,000, vs. 475 per 100,000
>  > in the US.  Their 1995 Firearms Act has been a miserable failure and
>  > their government has gone back to blaming the US for their crime.
>

> Pretty much everything in that paragraph after the first sentence is
>  total and utter bullshit.

Back it up, Frank.

http://www.thefreeradical.ca/Violent_crime_statistics_Canada.htm
Specifically, "Violent crime rate (per 100K) change from 1962-2006:
221 to 951 or a 300%+ increase"

vs.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/offenses_reported/violent_crime/index.html

Furthermore, the FBI is known to encourage police departments in the
US to report crime statistics based on the charges filed.  So if I'm
charged with battery, that's what gets into the statistics.  If I make
a deal with the prosecutor or the charges are dismissed or I'm found
not guilty, it's still in the stats as battery.  I have no idea how
this works in Canada, but in GB the statistics are based on the
resolution.  I'm sure you figure out where this leads.

Your mayor has been, very publicly, pointing his finger south for a
while now, blaming the US for all the guns involved in violent crime
in Toronto.  The fact is, there are no facts.  He's got media reports
and knee-jerking lefties to base it on and that's it.

>  Have a nice day.

Thanks!  You, too.

--
Scott Loveless