> > On a point of accuracy, it was probably al Qaeda that assassinated
> > him, not the Taliban.
> >
> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/ahmed-shah-massoud-729417
> > .html
> >
> > This is some sort of drama-doc about it. I can't find any
> footage but
> > I remember seeing some at the time. Subsequent events
> overshadowed his
> > assassination though.
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eG_8kPn_cs
> >

> At the time the Taliban and A Qaeda were joined at the hip,
> and it was a distinction without a difference.  That's still
> more or less true.

It's never been true, and it's quite important to make the distinction. We,
the west, are going to have to come to terms with the Taliban at some point.
The Taliban have been around for a long time - long before al Qaeda and
their strand of fundamentalism. They are mentioned in despatches sent from
Afghanistan by the British during Victorian times.

It's unlikely that we'll come to terms with al Qaeda, which will probably
wither away or mutate into something else, rather the way Palestinian
terrorism of the 70s did.

Bob