From: "William Robb"
----- Original Message ----- From: "P. J. Alling"
Subject: Re: OT: Speaking of nutters...

> Follow the logic, if I'm not at least well armed enough to be a threat to > a solder then I'm not an armed citizen. American traditions don't go back > to the Sword, they go back to the Musket, which was the common military > arm of the day. Unlike the Swiss we keep updating our traditions.

Great.
It's bad enough dealing with unpredictable idiots packing pistols.
When you start packing personal nukes you all will be a barrel of monkeys.

The personal nuke is a chimera. How are people who can't even remember when to get their oil changed going to handle the complex maintenance requirements for nuclear weapons.

The smallest RELIABLE, i.e. it could be stockpiled and expected to work when needed, weighs in around 50 lbs. And they're only good for 5 years or so in storage before they have to be returned to manufacturer for disassembly and overhaul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf6uX0hODuE

If you wanted to implement a Swiss model "tradition" in combination with American "military history", the most reasonable equipage would be to require all citizens to carry a powder horn and ring bayonet into the voting booth.