On Feb 23, 2010, at 3:15 AM, Subash wrote:

hi,

for my bicycle ride in the himalayas this summer, i need to keep the
things i take to a bare essential minimum. as for the camera gear,
since i can't afford to take multiple lenses, i was thinking of
getting the sigma 17-70 (older version). but after a month of trying,
it's just not available here and it doesnt' look as if the situation
is going to change. what *is* available is the tamron 18-250. it looks
like a very convenient travel lens but i would like to hear the
opinion of people here who have used it before buying it. so,
appreciate and welcome your inputs.

When I researched mine, the only difference I could find between Tamron and Pentax versions was the warranty, Tamron was better.

The 18-250 is the lens that used to live on my camera in it's bag. I always have my gear with me so I'm ready in case the excellent opportunity shows up. It's not as fast as my primes, or as sharp, or as small, but it takes a whole bag of primes to match its range. For an all purpose lens, it's sharp enough and fast enough. I saw a test where it fell between the first and second generation kit lenses in sharpness.

If space and weight are more of a concern than money, pair it with the DA40. The DA40 takes up almost no space or weight, is amazingly sharp, is reasonably fast and is a decent length for a walk around lens. With it on your camera, the camera will easily fit in a jacket pocket. For a bit more size and money you could get a 43, and an extra stop and a third of speed.

When I can only bring one lens, it is usually my 18-250 or my DA40 depending on whether I'll need range or size. My FA31 is a wonderful length and speed, but it takes up a lot of space for what it is because of that stupid lens hood.

Note that John loaned me his 16-50 for a couple of days and when I can afford one it'll likely become my outdoor, leave it on the camera lens. Everything it does, it does better than the 18-250. However, for a bicycle trip in decent weather I'd likely take the 18-250 instead because it has a lot more range and is less expensive to replace. For a bicycle trip in wet weather, I might choose the 16-50 and a 2x converter.

regards, subash