On 2/26/2010 9:54 PM, John Sessoms wrote:
From: "P. J. Alling"
On 2/25/2010 8:30 PM, John Sessoms wrote:

> I'm pretty sure they do already get to vote for President, so there > must be some way to count their "electoral" vote.

For them it's a beauty contest vote. It doesn't count they don't have representation in congress so they don;t get an electoral vote.

Apparently I misunderstood how it works.

Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens, but residents of Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands do not vote in the national elections unless they're registered to vote in one of the states or in DC, in which case they should be able to vote an absentee ballot for the district in which they're registered if they happen to be back in Puerto Rico.

Persons born in Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands are U.S. Citizens.

Persons born in the Northern Mariana Islands and American Samoa are U.S. Nationals, but are not U.S. Citizens. U.S. Nationals may reside and work in the United States. They don't have to have a green card or work permit. They are not prohibited by federal law from voting in national elections, but no state permits them to do so.

U.S. Nationals may apply for citizenship under the same rules as resident aliens.

DC doesn't get representation in Congress, but they do have 3 electors; the number they would be entitled to IF DC was a state.

I don't know where you got that last one from but I believe it's incorrect. DC has no electors, and cannot, the number of electors is defined in the constitution as the number of senators plus the number of congressmen, since DC has neither then DC has no electors. For DC to be granted electors without representation in Congress would require a constitutional amendment, which is not likely to happen.

--
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Courier
New;}}