From: "Tanya Love"
Gotta throw my hat into the ring here - when I was there for GFM, I couldn't
believe or comprehend the fact that you have ORANGE cheese in America!  I
had
never seen orange cheese in my life!  I just did not and still don't "get"
how cheese can turn orange when it is made from white milk!  I guess the
explanation
below kind of answers the question for me...  sooooo glad I didn't eat any
of that orange stuff whilst I was there!  I like my cheese natural,
unprocessed and WITHOUT food colouring thanks!

Depends on what cheese you saw, and where you saw it.

If it was in one of the "old timey, mountain country stores" around Grandfather Mountain, and the cheese was cut in wedges off a big wheel, you missed a treat, North Carolina red rind hoop cheese.

It's a traditional farm made cheese carried down from the days of spring houses in back-woods "hollers" where cheese making was the only way to keep milk from spoiling before it got to market. It doesn't have food coloring except for the red in the bees-wax rind (which you peel off and throw away).

"American Cheese" has the same relationship to real cheese that margarine has to butter. Both margarine and American Cheese have food coloring added - margarine because dairy farmers forced the U.S. Department of Agriculture to require it to do so. The dairy farms thought the color would be off-putting because butter is white.

Didn't work, and now butter often has food color added so it will look like margarine.