From: "Bob W"
Funny thing is, after the first night I stayed in "bed 'n breakfast" > type lodgings, and every one of them had a genuine > Bunn-o-matic commercial drip coffee maker in the dining room > for that breakfast. >
One of these?

<http://www.caffesociety.co.uk/bunn-pour-and-serve-37800-0102.html>

Yeah, one of those - although that's a newer sleeker design "designed for small volume brewing using glass 3 pint jugs".

They're the sort of thing that British Rail used back in the worst days of
British food history. Typically they would sit on a hot plate for days at a
time and would serve coffee that tasted like the scrapings from a locomotive
boiler.

If you let it sit on the burner for days at a time it's no wonder it tastes awful.

Most places I'm aware of in the U.S. hold the coffee for 45 minutes or less. If it hasn't sold by then, they dump it and make a fresh pot if they serve coffee all day or they turn it off until they're ready to make more.

I don't know how long the bed 'n breakfast places in Scotland held their coffee, but I doubt it was even that long.

You can find stale coffee at convenience stores in the U.S. if you go in there in the afternoon, but even there they'll dump it and make fresh coffee if you only ask.

I've never had a decent cup of coffee from one of these - they leave the jug
stewing for too long. Filter coffee is only worth drinking if it's
absolutely fresh (which is how I make it in the morning, with one of these: <http://www.swissgold.com/e/c_produkt06.php>.

You're blaming the machinery for the operator's failings.

At home I have an old (ca 1975) "4 cup" Mr. Coffee that I use most of the time, makes about 20 oz (liquid measure) of coffee, which is 2 servings for me.

Unless I only want a single serving, in which case I use a single serving Melita #2 cone filter holder.