Ok, so you know what?  Our backyard fence IS my kids school fence.  We live
literally 30m from our school, and my kids are NOT allowed to come home for
lunch!  Once they cross that fence line, if I want them home before they are
dismissed at the end of the day, I have to go to the school myself, sign
them out at the office, and then collect them personally from their
classrooms.

Doesn't make an ounce of difference to the teachers though who regularly
send them home to get their hat, or their drink bottle or their homework
book, or whatever else they have forgotten to take with them on any given
day!

I regularly take their lunches over to them too - if I've been up late
working and am too lazy to drag myself up early enough to make their
lunches, I'll make it later on and take it over to them.  It's great in
winter when I turn up at the classroom doors with fresh hot, pumpkin soup
and warm bread rolls.  My kids become the toast of the classroom!

Funny about the reasoning behind the canteens in the US - I am actually
studying a Bachelor of Human Services in Child Protection right now, and I
just wrote a program last Semester to run in Aussie schools providing them
with a hot breakfast and nutritional education each day, for that exact
reason!  I see it in all 3 of my kids classes (only 3 of my kids are old
enough for school) - other kids turning up hungry and then with nothing but
a cup cake or a mars bar for lunch.  The program I wrote is designed to give
them a hearty, healthy breakfast, low GI and high on "brain foods" to help
them to get through the day and actually be able to learn rather then listen
to their tummies grumbling all morning, and having no attention span because
of it!

Oh, and btw, I am a huge advocate for forced sterilisation of women until
they attain a certain level of parental education and a certain age and are
able to prove their ability to provide for their kids.  Sure, it breaches
about every single human right in the book - but what about the rights of
the poor neglected and abused kids that did not ask to be born and who are
delivered square into the middle of the poverty cycle with few prospects for
their lives except to continue the cycle themselves through lack of
education and resources.