On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Bob W <p...@web-options.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> In North Carolina, a "cordial" is a spirituous liquor, an
>> alcoholic beverage, and is also only available in specialty
>> shops, i.e. state controlled ABC stores.
>>
>> Blame it all on the Southern Baptist Convention. We have to
>> constantly fight them for the right to consume any alcohol at all.
>
> When I spent a weekend in NC a few years ago we had to drive about 35 miles
> each way from the town we were in to find somewhere that would serve us with
> a drink. When we got there it was like one those bars you see in Burt
> Reynolds films. Most educational.

St. Louis county (surrounding, but not including, the city of St.
Louis) has, or at least had, "blue laws" which restricted the sale of
alcohol on Sundays.  From the time the bars closed at 1 or 2 AM until
noon, I couldn't buy any, which is ridiculous because all the people
who care are in church and couldn't see me buying it anyway.  Maybe
that's the reason for the blue law.  It would have been impossible for
them to keep tabs on us drunks if we could just do whatever the hell
we wanted while they were singing some damn depressing hymn.  But I
can't blame that on the Baptists.  St. Louis is predominantly
Catholic.  Go figure.

--
Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com/fivetoedsloth/