Hallo Timothy!

The focussing plane of a non-macro lens is not flat, it is spherical (if
spherical glass elementsa are used). Therefore, if you keep the center at
focus,the corner will go out of focus and if you keep the corner in focus,
the center will go out of focus, in general. Our eyes can not see that
happening because the radius of 'circle of confusion' which creates the
image is much smaller than the resolution of our eye. However, Stopping
down increases
the depth of field and you got good results at f/8 with the TC on. Now,
when you are using the extension tubes, the depth of field is affected
more. How much?? Well, the answer to this question is a nomogram that I
have scanned from a book on Macro photography which gives the depth of
field when a certain length of extension is added to the 50 mm focal
length lens.

I can not send that nomogram as an attachment file as most of the pdml
members will object. Therefore, I shall send you only in a separate mail.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ayash.