> Is it accurate to conclude that the slower the lens, the flatter
> focusing field? The 50/4 is flatter than the 50/2 is flatter than
> the 50/1.7, et cetera?

Well, I imagine that your generalization is probably true most of
the time, within a group of otherwise similar lenses.  I would
suspect that, say, in the A 50's, the field of the f/2 might be
slightly flatter than that of the f/1.7, which in turn is almost
certainly flatter than that of the f/1.4, with the field of the
f/1.2 very possibly showing the most curvature.  (Just a hunch...)

However, the M 50/4 Macro does not have a flatter field primarily
because it is a slower lens (although that may be a contributing
factor) - it has a flatter field because it was specifically
designed as a ~macro~ lens (i.e., a lens which has to focus close,
of course, but which also should be able to render a flat plane of
focus properly.  (Just another hunch...)

However, I wouldn't be surprised if both the newer A 50/2.8 Macro
and the even newer F/FA 50/2.8 Macro have an even flatter field,
despite being faster than the f/4.  (And still another hunch...)

Fred