My default metadata has copyright information in it when I import into
Lightroom.

You can add the information to all of your files, but there is no way
to prevent anyone from stripping out metadata when it is online.  The
work is automatically protected when it is created, so there is not a
legal requirement to include the copyright information, but it can
help if someone is trying to track you down through a third party
(assuming that the information hasn't been removed along the way).

Unless you plan on publishing your work, I don't really see the point
in registering the copyrights.  Registering will allow you to claim
statutory damages in cases of copyright infringement, and you must
register within 3 months of publication.  If you don't register and
you sue for infringement, you can only sue for actual damages, that
is, how much you would normally get for sale of your work.  If you
don't normally sell your work, then it's more difficult to establish
an amount for actual damages.

When you do get to the point of publishing (and putting them on the
web is a gray area that could go either way) your pictures, you should
definitely register the ones that are used (and probably others from
the set/session as well).  If it's a hobby, do you have the time,
energy and money to pursue a copyright infringement lawsuit.  You may
be in the right legally, but if you can't afford to protect it, you've
already lost.

--
Aloha Photographer Photoblog
http://alohaphotog.blogspot.com/