I attended a lecture he gave here in the bay area around 10 years ago.
I was, of course, aware of his career from a much earlier date - I was
at Cambridge from 1968 - 1971 (reading Mathematics & Computer science),
which was when he (and Penrose) were redefining theoretical physics.
I never heard him lecture while I was at Cambridge (although I did hear
a lecture on Quantum Physics given by Paul Dirac, an earlier holder of
the Lucasian Chair of Mathematics that Hawking held).  And I learned
the basics of astrophysics and relativity from Dennis Sciama - Hawking's
thesis adviser; he gave some lectures as part of the mathematics degree.