I saw him "speak" through a grad student about 30 years ago at
Harvard.  While there's not question that I feel sorry for anyone in
that condition, he has lived a remarkably long time with ALS and has
essentially had a full career.  What I find most interesting is that
his condition has denied him the ability to do math in a normal
fashion (pencil and paper) and has affected his thinking about
physics.  I always wonder how his thinking would have differed, for
better or worse, if he had never gotten this disease.

--
Steve Desjardins