Larry Colen wrote:
A couple days ago, walking back to the office from the deli I got a photo of poppies that turned out pretty well. By shooting in a direction that shade was in the background, I ended up with golden poppies against a black background.

My first thought was to take one my plastic tubs, paint the inside flat black and if I want to photograph flowers, put that behind the flower so that I can get the instant dark background.

Upon reflection, I thought that what would be better would something like one of those "pop up" light tents:
http://www.ephotodiscounters.com/product_info.php?cPath=9&products_id=111

but made out of an opaque black fabric. I suppose I could do something similar with the light tent and opaque fabric over it, but I figured I'd ask if anyone knows of such a "porta-cave" already on the market.

Not sure what the question really is here. Are you looking to shoot flowers on a black background in your house?

You know that you really just need for your subject to be a few stops brighter than your background (about 4.5 I think) and your background will be black. You can shoot your flowers using flash on a table where the "background" is through a doorway into a dark hallway or similar and you'll get the effect of a completely black background. This is especially true if you keep a smallish aperture, like f5.6-f8.

I suspect you'll get no satisfaction from your "dark tent". If you setup a flat black painted surface anywhere near your subject and any of your light spills onto it, your background will show up as some shade of grey.

-bmw