On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 15:35 -0400, m...@robertstech.com wrote:

> Fortunately, it's my C drive, which contains only the operating system
> (all my apps and data files are kept on a separate hard drive), so
> it's just a matter of popping out to buy a new HD and reinstalling
> from my backup. But I think I'll take the opportunity to do the
> Windows 7 install while I'm at it.

If you do that and later find an external USB hard drive suddenly
becoming write protected for no apparent reason, let me know.  I just
spent several hours Googling for a solution after this happened to my
backup drive.  Apparently it's not all that uncommon with Windows 7,
with Western Digital drives seemingly most (but not exclusively)
affected.

A number of suggested 'fixes' came to light and I eventually found one
that worked, although a lot of users complained that the fix either
didn't work for them or turned out to be temporary.  We'll see....

The most annoying thing is a the total silence from both Microsoft and
Western Digital on what seems to be a surprisingly common problem.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters
Western Sydney Australia