Perry Pellechia wrote:
Thanks Dave and Paul for your comments.  The more information I find
the more I am likely to give these printers a chance.  By nature I am
a tinkerer and I like to pick up crap from our surplus center and try
to get it running.  Usually the things I find do not involve much cash
to see if they work.

The waste pad are not easy to access.  There are several write ups and
videos on the net but most modify the printer by running tubing
outside the printer to an external collection bottle.  The service
manual shows the dis-assembly procedure for accessing the pads but
does not seem to give the reset instructions.  I will try the SCC
reset before I order any ink.

Epson has another little trick up its sleeve. If you dismantle enough to remove the heads for cleaning you will find that they do not work after reinstallation unless another bit of software is run. Unlike Canon, that allows the user to exchange heads, Epson does everything in its power to prevent you.

I do believe I have a copy of the initialisation software somewhere, should you need it.