John Sessoms wrote:
Several others as well.

The Toyota case became notable for the same reason the Audi case became notable. They started off by denying it was happening at all, then tried to blame it all on driver error, and were eventually forced into a recall to fix the problem.

Not to be too pedantic, but as I recall (no pun intended), the Audi case was never *proven* to be Audi's problem. It seems much more likely it was driver error by a rather hysterical person.

But because Audi was unable to positively prove driver error it ultimately resulted in them discontinuing the model line in question (the 100 and 90?) and starting the A4, A6, A8 line to replace it. They installed the now standard "can't shift xmission until brakes are applied" interlock. That doesn't actually "fix" the probably non-existent "problem", but it (a) shows the public that Audi has "done something", and (b) makes the alleged incident completely impossible in future. That worked as Audi's sales are excellent these days.

I'm sure I'll be corrected (and over-corrected) if any of that isn't quite right. ;-)

-bmw