> also keep your head or parts of it clear of the edge of a
> curbstone which I see as the most critical threat around
> town. I have yet to find any clear statement on that. For now

It is probably worth while finding out the main causes of cycling accidents
where you regularly cycle, and making sure you know how to avoid those types
of accident. In London, for example, the main causes seem to be from motor
vehicles - particularly buses and lorries - turning left in front of
cyclists, who are subsequently crushed against the pavement barriers.
Another major cause is problems on roundabouts. In both cases the numbers
can be and are reduced by cyclist and driver education. Cyclists need to
learn how to cycle properly in traffic, and drivers need to be more aware of
the issues facing cyclists. Lorry and bus drivers are now increasingly being
educated in these areas. As more and more people cycle, more and more of
those cyclists are also drivers so as cyclists they know where drivers are
looking, and as drivers they understand about cyclists, so this in itself
improves road safety. The safety in numbers benefit also increases.

Factors like this do far more to prevent injury than helmets ever will.