Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "paul stenquist" <pnstenqu...@comcast.net>

Subject: Re: sudden stop

On Apr 15, 2010, at 7:58 PM, John Sessoms wrote:

From: steve harley
On 2010-04-15 13:18 , Bruce Walker wrote:
> But because Audi was unable to positively prove driver error it
> ultimately resulted in them discontinuing the model line in question
> (the 100 and 90?)
it was about 20 years earlier, not the 90/100 models, but the Audi Fox in the 70s; i could be off since i'm not looking it up; i remember my high school math teacher had one

Did a Google search and it appears to be 82 - 87 Audi 5000.

According to the Wikipedia article I found, at the time NHTSA was "investigating 50 car models from 20 manufacturers for sudden surges of power."

If it was "driver error", it was error attributable to poor design of gas & brake pedals and automatic transmissions.

Audi took the brunt of criticism for what was an industry standard of poor design.

Not really. Audi's brake and accelerator pedal were closer together than those of other makes. It was done so that drivers who had a manual transmission could heel and toe the brake and accelerator when cornering. Audi retained the close placement on automatic transmission models.

But Audi vehicles were not defective. However, 60 Minutes was guillty of fraud. Someone should have gone to jail.

William Rosenbluth was the 'expert' that rigged the vehicle for the TV show.

Paul