> "Primative Photography" by Alan Greene is one of the coolest
> books I have seen in a while.
> http://www.amazon.com/Primitive-Photography-Making-Cameras-Cal
> otypes/dp/0240804619
> Reader reviews:
> http://www.amazon.com/Primitive-Photography-Making-Cameras-Cal
> otypes/product-reviews/0240804619/
[...]
> I find it wonderfully refreshing, especially with all of the
> obsessing about the perfect lens and image we seem to do more
> of in this digital age.
> Or maybe I'm just sounding OLD.
> :)

Fascinating stuff, and great for it to be published. It's also very well
worthwhile revisiting old photographs from time to time. After visiting the
Izis exhibition in Paris last week I bought the catalogue and another book
called La Seine Des Photographes (Photographers' Seine) which contains
photos of the Seine from photographers ranging from the mid 19th century (eg
Gustav Le Gray) up to very recent years (eg Michael Kenna).

Some of the 19th century photography is stunning, and not well known to me.
Apart from the intrinsic interest of the subject matter, the quality of the
photography is very high indeed and often has a very modern look.
<http://www.photosapiens.com/article.php?id_article=1380>