2010/4/29 Tom C <caka...@gmail.com>:

> IMO, they need to come out with a full spec pro body that at least
> competes with a Canon EOS 5D MKII, or even better a Nikon D3X.

I doubt that is a good road to follow. Next thing they know, you'll
ask for a huge line-up of pro spec lenses. IMHO building slowly is
fine; grow organically with what ressources they have. Two levels of
body as they have now, release new lenses as they go along, make as
many of them WR or * as possible, makes as many of them DFA as
possible to allow for future full frame ventures, plus a sensible line
of accessories and most of all, a unique, user oriented feature set.

> I don't understand what the AF issue is technologically.  For one
> still being on the screw-drive.  You'd think they could license the
> the technology if they couldn't design it.

Screw drive isn't bad at all. Just think of the Nikon F5 - 8 fps with
screwdrive AF... And what is SDM? They expired patent for 1st
generation Canon USM. There's your answer to both. They either
couldn't afford to license it or noone was willing and they weren't
able to reinvent it on their own. The problem is AF sensors and AF
intelligence. The sensors are too few and too far apart and the
intelligence... well you figure it out =) I just hope their
implementaiton of SDM is built to support higher speeds in the future.
It isn't exactly fast now...

> Possibly it all comes down to a lack of funding?

I very much think so but none of us has a way of knowing so.
Cheers
Ecke