On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Joseph McAllister <pentax...@mac.com> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 2010, at 10:14 , Tom C wrote:
>
>> My job has nothing to do with supporting users running PC's.  The fact
>> that 99% of the business world runs on PC's and not Macs is
>> significant. And I'm sure that if I wanted to use a Mac to do a lot of
>> the things I use a PC for in the business world, I'd find similar
>> issues, possibly one's that are unresolvable because a Mac would not
>> be supported or not supported yet, unless running as a Windows PC.
>
> So you work in the IT department of a large business with 100 + PCs? How
> many in the dept.?  3, 5, 9 including servers support and networking?
>
> That's job security sir!
>
> If they had all Macs, your biggest headache would be new hires who can't
> adapt to life being easier than they were accustomed to on their PCs at
> school or their previous job. And your IT dept. would be half the size it is
> now. Perhaps just one certified Apple consultant on call, but that's pushing
> it on my behalf.
>
> The PC, and Windows architecture guarantee jobs for a support staff. Which
> more than makes up for the buy-in costs of the Apple Macintosh hardware and
> bundled software.
>

> Joseph McAllister
> pentax...@mac.com

If you were in a 100+ machine network and had all Mac's, you'd be out
a job because the damned network wouldn't work or you'd be stuck with
a Microsoft, Sun or IBM backend. MS owns the office space today
because they sell network infrastructure software as well as the
desktop OS. Apple sells the Desktop OS and a slightly enhanced version
as a 'Server' OS which isn't any more than a standard *nix server.
You'd still need your Windows Servers on the backend to run Exchange
(or suddenly all your users lose their integrated scheduling and mail
and pushing to their blackberry's, and the clustering which makes said
services reliable on any platform) and you need a viable
authentication system, which means either Sun or Active Directory
since Apple doesn't offer anything which scales, and some sort of
solution for pushing software updates at controlled times (no SMS) and
all the other network management tools which OS X Server lacks
(because it's not designed for large-scale network deployments, but
rather small 10-50 user networks).

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca