On Apr 30, 2010, at 7:19 PM, Adam Maas wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 7:09 PM, paul stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net>
> wrote:

>>> I believe it was hand cranked and machined entirely out of brass...
>>>
>> Before there was GUI on the Mac, you could run Quark Catalyst -- a mac-like
>> desktop -- an an apple //c or //e. Now that was slow. Apple //GS introduced
>> GUI at about the same time as the Mac launch, but the // processor made it
>> weird for some applications.
>> Paul
>
> The //GS was actually a much more capable machine than the early Macs
> were, but had some PC-like hoops you had to jump through for software
> compatibility, a //GS really wasn't all that closely related to the
> earlier // models and that resulted in some software oddities where
> programmers had coded close to the hardware and expected certain
> behaviours.

I had a hot-rod //GS with an accelerator that  hopped it up to a full 3
megahertz. The standard machine was 1 megahertz. It had  8 megs of ram, and a
40 meg hard drive.  I wrote numerous magazine articles with it, and my kids did
a lot of artwork with Dazzle Draw. I even shot some digital still photos with
it using color eyes and a vhs movie camera. It was a good machine.
Unfortunately, my wife talked me into giving it to her sister many years ago.