I like the third version best. Good detail for black feathers. That's always tough.
Paul
On May 1, 2010, at 9:10 AM, Jack Davis wrote:

Thanks, Brian! I agree, to this point the "composition" has been limited to a heavy crop and keeping some high voltage stanchions and power lines out of the background.
I have been OK, however, with the wild clover and thistles.

Jack

--- On Sat, 5/1/10, Brian Walters <supera1...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

From: Brian Walters <supera1...@fastmail.fm>
Subject: Re: PESO: Red Wing Re-try
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Date: Saturday, May 1, 2010, 5:10 AM
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 13:43 -0700,
"Jack Davis" <jdavi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
Made another try at my favorite Red Wing Black Bird
hunting location
early this AM. Light was from a more helpful direction
at that hour, plus
I was "packing" an AF540 flash with a "VISUAL" flash
extender. Using K20
w/DA55~300.

Am attaching three shots wherein I was actually able
to bring out some
feather detail. With the bright sky behind most all
attempts, even in
spot metering mode, shutter had been too fast for
anything much beyond a
silhouette.

With the ability to throw some light on my side and at
ISO 200, I, also,
had a little shutter speed to combat a gusty 20 mph
wind.

I still consider this a work in progress.

Comment at will.

Jack

http://photolightimages.com/aspupload/detail.asp?ID=495

http://photolightimages.com/aspupload/detail.asp?ID=496

http://photolightimages.com/aspupload/detail.asp?ID=497

Yes - definitely better detail in the feathers.  I
don't think the birds
have given you the best composition yet but it looks like
you might get
more opportunities.

Cheers

Brian
Brian Walters
Western Sydney Australia

http://www.fastmail.fm - Does exactly what it says on
the tin

directly above and follow the directions.