I set the flash to "high speed" and the AF540 zoom manually to 58mm (extender
instructions recommend 50mm, but the flash seems to want 58mm).
In sunny conditions, usually with a bright sky background, I like a motion
freezing f/8 at ISO 200 or 400. Still provides a reasonable shutter speed in
more subdued lighting.
This has been in my recent fairly limited experience.

Jack