I'll second Bob's comment and recommend one of the Trek-Tech TrekPods:
http://www.trek-tech.com/products/trekpods.html

I have a TrekPod II which is the older, heavier design.  Like the
Benbo that Bob W recommended it has an upside down leg design,
thickest section at the bottom, which makes it super rigid even at its
tallest extension, 62.5 inches.  It's a terrific hiking staff that you
can really put a lot of weight into.  OTOH I wouldn't like to carry it
around town for fear of being accused of brandishing a club because
its shortest length is 47 inches.

regards, Anthony

   "Of what use is lens and light
    to those who lack in mind and sight"