> > I'm surprised the government let them go. Everyone's very
> touchy about
> > data loss these days - where I work they take out the hard disk and
> > have it destroyed before they let the box go.
>
> They all have spanking new XP installs, I think destroying
> drives is a bit over the top, there are a lot of very
> thorough data wiping applications available. I have a friend
> in big bank IT who has witnessed forensic data gathering,
> it's not like in the movies.

The Russian mafia has specially-trained dogs left over from the KGB days who
can smell the traces of the 'erased' bit patterns going back over 50 years,
then bark the binary to a team of data prep clerks punching furiously into
computers developed from the debris of Gary Powers' U-2. You can never be
too paranoid.